Cotton is the best material for nightdress

womens nightdressOh what I wouldn't give for a good night's sleep! I am sure there isn't a doctor's surgery in the country which doesn't hear those words at least once a day. If you're like me, as I got older, I often experienced some kind of sleep problem - if I managed to fall off to sleep then I was awake again in an hour or two. Add to that the increasingly frequent sweats - to be expected for women my age but no less upsetting - and even if I thought I'd had a reasonable night, I still didn't feel well-rested when I woke up in the morning.

Over the years I tried everything - aromatherapy essence on my pillow, meditation, milky drinks and long hot baths became favourite bedtime companions and I studiously avoided caffeine and alcohol whenever possible. But up until recently a really good night's sleep eluded me.

It was only when I was chatting to a friend (my favourite topic of the optimum time to go to bed and how many hours of sleep is normal) that the topic of what I wear in bed came up. She said she wouldn't dream of wearing anything other than pure cotton to bed and swears that its soft and cool feeling on her skin helps her sleep. A search of the internet brought up David Nieper, a leading nightwear and lingerie designer, who told me that cotton continues to be their customer's favourite choice. I selected a really pretty and feminine womens nightdress in 100 per cent lawn cotton which promised to be so beautifully soft I was guaranteed peaceful sleep and comfort all-night through.

And you know what, they were right! I have never slept so blissfully or felt so comfortable all night long. The cotton feels wonderfully soft next to my skin. On warm nights it stays cool to the touch but on cold nights also keeps me cosy and warm. It's not itchy or scratchy, is never prone to that awful clinginess you get from man made fibres and doesn't get any static electricity.

When I think about it now it's obvious that cotton is the perfect bedtime choice. It absorbs body moisture and evaporates it to the surrounding air, thus allowing your body its natural tendency to breathe - not only am I more comfortable in cotton, I'm healthier wearing it too!

If you don't believe me I urge you to try it yourself. David Nieper offers a range of really lovely pure ladies nightgowns or pyjamas and will even give you your money back if not delighted. So you've got nothing to lose and perhaps a few hours of sleep to gain.

Kim Peatfield is a PR consultant and writes on a wide range of lifestyle topics including women's interest, travel, fashion, home interiors and gardening.

Bookmark and Share